Tuesday, September 18, 2012
7 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda
1. It might be bad for your kidneys. Researchers found that diet cola is associated with a two-fold increased risk for kidney decline.
2. Even just one diet soda a day is linked to a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome with symptoms including belly fat and high colesterol that put you at risk for heart disease.
3. The more diet soda a person drinks, the greater risk of becoming overweight. People who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because the body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more.
4. Cocktails made with diet soda get you drunk faster as sugar-free mixers allow liquor to enter your bloodstream much quicker that those with sugar.
5. Diet sodas contain mold inhibitors, going by the names of sodium benzoate & potassium benzoate. "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it - they knock it out altogether," Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology at the University of Sheffield in the U.K
6. With a pH of 3.2, diet soda is very acidic. (As a point of reference, the pH of battery acid is 1. Water is 7.) Adults who drink three or more sodas a day have worse dental health, says a University of Michigan analysis of dental checkup data.
7. Diet or not, soft drink cans are coated with the endocrine disruptor bisphenol A (BPA), which has been linked to everything from heart disease to obesity to reproductive problems.
Read in depth at link: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/7-side-effects-drinking-diet-soda#0