Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie

This is a family that loves chicken pot pie; even in as much one time when we were in Florida we specifically went to a Cracker Barrel for all of us to order it. After being served we dug in, but something wasn’t right. It was more liquidly, more like soup. When our waiter returned we told him but he insisted it was the way it was supposed to be. We knew it wasn’t right because we had had it many times before but we didn’t make a big fuss. As we about to leave and pay our bill the manager happened to come over and ask us if everything had been OK. “Well” we said, “since you happen to be asking . . .” and we proceeded to tell him about the problem with our food. He apologized profusely and said there would be no charge for our meal. We said that was nice but not necessary, but we just were disappointed as we had come there specifically for that one item as we had all ordered it. He still insisted and our meal was free.
More recently Cracker Barrel has taken this off their menu as a regular item and only offers it once a week. What were they thinking? Several times when traveling (we don't have any close by) and happened to catch it on the right day, we were only left with disappointment to find out they had run out of the it! : (
[Also Cracker Barrel has stopped carrying that Baked Potato Seasoning that I had recommended. Some time ago my husband's friend had them ship me all the bottles they had left after he had made inquires in to the stores by him and couldn't locate any. LOL]

* Now at Barbara and Q’s the other day what should I spy on the spread of food that people had brought but this little tureen filled with what looks like chicken pot pie filling! Yes! I scooped a spoonful onto my plate. Yummy, hot and savory! Who made this? I have to have the recipe! It was none other that Barbara’s daughter, Corinna.
She gave me a brief, not too real detailed run down what she did, and I made it the very next night.

So the following recipe is hers and I added a little too.

Some Chicken Cutlets cut up into bite size pieces and liberally sprinkled with Goya Adobo (which I didn’t have and then when I got to the store, Yikes!, only to find there are like 5 different ones. LOL I got the one with the red cap, with pepper.
Sauté the chicken in oil/butter (that’s what I used) and as it was getting browned I added a medium onion that I had cut into pieces as well as a couple of cut-up stalks of celery with leaves. I parboiled 3 small red potatoes and steamed a small bag of baby carrots. I cut any in half any that were really fat.
I also sauteed some cut-up freshly sliced mushrooms and added them too.

In another large pot - simmer
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup (I used the Healthy Request one)
2 cups of water
and then add the cooked chicken with onions, celery, cut-up potatoes, and carrots.
When it was all heated through nicely, I stirred in:
½ cup of heavy cream she had said to use
I added a handful of frozen peas.
To thicken,
2 Tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with some water (like ¼ cup) and then stir that in. Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. I served it over noodles. [I didn't bake it with a crust because I didn't want to have to wait any longer to eat it! : )] Enjoy!

For a crust for this go to:
http://geraniumfarmhodgepodge.blogspot.com/search?q=biscuit+crust

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.