Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Monday, January 16, 2006

Twist Ties, Rubber Bands, and Paper Clips

My in-laws are in their 80's and underwent a move this week. You see for over thirty years they lived in an upstairs condo. That was all good and fine when they moved in, but now with them both using a cane to get around, the two outside sets of stairs were just becoming too much. I had hoped and even suggested that they did this move years ago. Well, that didn't happen. They were able to find a downstairs unit in the same complex, as my mother-in-law has friends and activities she enjoys there.
Phew! Thirty-three years of stuff and that was with getting rid of a lot. Depression era savers, my husband got some of that gene running through his veins from his father. Although he's more of a collector. Heck he had stored so much in my sister-in-law's attic, unbeknownst to my brother-in-law, that when he passed away (the family joke) we bought the house. Oh, the thought of emptying it out. I threaten him with eBay. I know that must be why he has yet install attic stairs.
If you were to have to move tomorrow what would you save and what would you get rid of? What would you just die of embarrassment to have anyone find in your closets or drawers? Spring cleaning is just around the corner. Hmmm....if I start now......

Copyright © 2006 Deborah Sharp Loeb

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this sounds so familiar! My parents just moved into a condo after living in the same home (a house that was built for them when I was born 52 years ago). The house was a 5 bedroom that they lived in very happily for years. But my father is a collector and never throws anything out. Both my parents use canes and couldn't navigate the stairs any longer. My mother wanted to move, but my father didn't. The attic had things in it that were packed up and never unpacked from when they moved into the house 52 years ago!

We wound up having to hire a company to help us throw things out. Very little got sold.

My sisters and our husbands fought over everything. It was dreadful--we still haven't made up. Relationships are now really strained. We had to put a giant dumpster in their driveway so we could get the place emptied in time for the closing. The entire process was deadly and totally draining.

It really makes me realize how I really need to empty my house (I have the same saving disease as my father)so my son won't have this problem when my husband and I have to move or die.

P.S. My parents are thrilled that they moved and love their new place! My father even loves it and now wonders why he didn't do this years ago!

2:10 PM  
Blogger DSL said...

Thanks for your comment. The title of the story referred to the contents of a kitchen drawer. I didn't want to mention everything. Suffice as to say, we actually had some good laughs and they are still looking for a few missing items but there are still some unpacked boxes left. I guess a lot of us baby boomers are in the same spot with our parents. Thankfully, one of my father's favorite sayings is, "Nothing's a bargin if you don't need it." So more of what's in his basement is ours!
Debbie
P.S. - Since my mother's death my brother and I have been slowly ridding out stuff over the years.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.