Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Friday, August 06, 2010

Remember When . . . . ?

I got an email with this menu from Woolworth's lunch counter from 1957. I ate there and was wondering what you readers remember as your early wages and the price you paid for an item that sticks in your mind?

I remember paying 35 cents to get into the movies as a kid, a quarter for a slice of pizza, my husband remembers 15 cents, and a Popsicle for a dime, going in a nickle each to share with a friend. I worked at Ohrbach's part-time through college starting at $1.65 an hour.

To see the Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955–2009
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0774473.html

For: Comparison Of Prices Over 70 Years
(Be sure to checkout the additional links to information in the bottom right-hand corner.)
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/70yearsofpricechange.html

*Debbie,
I remember my father taking me to Shea Stadium to see the New York Mets in 1968 where a box seat cost $3.50. R.T.

*When my wife and I were first married we'd watch for bread to be on sale; then we'd stock up. On sale was 10 cents a loaf! Larry

Email you remembrances to : debbie@geraniumfarm.org of a wage you earned and/or what you remember paying for something and I'll post it on Hodgepodge. Put "I remember" in the subject line.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.