Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cold and Flu Survival Kit

I saw this article My Cold and Flu Survival Kit (12 Things Every Gal Should Keep Around This Season)
You can read it in full here -

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/my-cold-and-flu-survival-kit-12-things-every-gal-should-keep-around-this-season-527994/;_ylt=AmEwS2_rspMJzx8hgcL9M2VabqU5

and it listed these 12 item the author likes to keep on hand for the cold and flu season:

1. Bath salts - for aromatherapy.
2. Extra blankets
3. Chicken soup
4. Elderberry extract - "Research may be preliminary, but some experts believe that elderberry may be as effective as some prescription medications at zapping viruses."
5. Electrolyte beverages - for dehydration
6. Honey - to soothe a sore throat
7. A kind-hearted person to help you with kids/life/errands
8. Tissues - (I personally must have the ones with lotion
if I have to blow my nose excessively.)
9. Warm socks
10. Hot herbal tea
11. A Working Thermometer
12. A Good Pain Reliever

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Reader's Additions:

At least one interesting novel.
A couple of old-timey (black & white, 30’s era) comedies.
Bob B.

Add to the list - Witch Hazel on a soft cloth, soothes achy eyes or on the back of the neck for temperature relief

I would like to add to the list: My mom...but she is in Heaven. Linda L.

Additional items necessary for the cold and flu survival kit:
A full length warm cuddly rob and slippers
A remote control near couch to watch television
Soothing music CDs and player within reach
Janice

Even when I was a child my dad, who was not a drinker, would fix me a hot toddy, with lemon juice, sugar, a tad of whiskey and hot water. It was so comforting. I can't remember that I loved the taste, but I knew this was something rather grownup and made me special! And sometimes if I pleaded he would lay down on the bed (always on top of the covers) until I fell asleep. I am sure many dads might hesitate to do this today. Now as an adult I rarely get flu or colds, but if I do a hot toddy will always bring me the feeling of security and comfort I had as a child. Oh, lest I forget, mom rubbed Vicks on my chest, covered it with flannel, and made me milk toast!!!!! I think that remedies for flu/colds are often not substantiated, but are effective none the less.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.