Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Friday, February 27, 2009

Healthier Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
• 1-1/2 cups of unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. cinnamon*
• 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp. cloves
• 1 cup canned plain pumpkin puree*
• 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
• ½ cup Splenda for baking
• 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
• 1 large egg
• 1 Tbsp. canola oil
• 5 prunes* (cut up into little pieces)
• ½ cup blueberries*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, brown sugar, Splenda, yogurt, egg and oil together. Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring just until moistened & gently stir in the berries and prunes (overmixing will cause the bread to become too tough).
Bake: 40 – 45 minutes.

Back on the January 19th posting there was a list of *The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating. So I tried to incorporate some of these into one recipe. I thought this would be a good breakfast bread.
The original recipe called for buttermilk which I substituted the yogurt. (Just so you wouldn't be stuck with the rest of the quart of buttermilk.) Instead of a whole cup of brown sugar I halved it and used Splenda too. You could play with upping the amount of prunes and blueberries. I guess you could try some whole wheat flour also if you like. I reduced the amount of cloves from 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon. The clove taste was a little too strong for me.
Oh, and don't think ugh prunes. I don't think you really even taste them so much as they just give more moistness along with the blueberries to it all. I cut them up with kitchen shears into pieces half the size of a raisin. Toss them a bit in the flour mixture to keep them from sticking together.

Debbie,
I finally made the Healthier Pumpkin Bread recipe. Since I make 'healthy' muffins for my breakfast I decided to use this recipe to make muffins also. It makes 21 muffins and took 20 minutes of baking. I also used 10 prunes and a whole cup of blueberries so that there would be some of each in every muffin. I have Splenda brown sugar on hand and used just 1/2 cup of that - no other sugar. I also use buttermilk in other recipes so I used it. As an afterthought I decided to throw in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (another good for you ingredient). It was hard to wait until after my salad at lunch and would have been impossible to wait until breakfast tomorrow to sample one. They are as good as they sound and smell!
Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Blessings,
Terry

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.