Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Another Memory

This "Another Memory", is an email follow-up from Dee that she received from a friend.

Debbie -
The following comes from my dear friend of 39 years, Mary Verni; we were neighbors as young wives and mothers in Utica, N.Y. - Mary's hometown. Now she lives in Massachusetts near Hyannis and is a remarkably fine nurse at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. I think what she had to say to me this morning is worth your reading. She was younger than me but her experience was a little more personal. I imagine you'll get several different slants from people. We'll see what happens. - Dee


"It was a horrible day that will live in my memory forever. I was 13 when JFK came to Utica to campaign. We were dismissed from De Sales(School) early and ran down to the Memorial Auditorium to see & hear him. I shook his hand and was in awe of this great man that I, too felt would take care of us.

The day he was killed, I was taking a "final" in Anatomy & Physiology. One of the nursing students ran into the classroom, tears streaming down her face and cried out," President Kennedy has been shot!" I finished my test and went to chapel which was filled with students, patients, nurses & doctors. Each taking turns & time to pray. As were the nation, I was glued to the TV for the entire weekend.

When I returned to school, I felt compelled to write to Mrs. Kennedy and I did. I wrote a poem & letter & mailed it to her. She answered my letter and thanked me. I was told it is in the JFK library archives along with thousands of letters the family received.

Ironically, we were in Hyannis the day John Kennedy, Jr.'s plane crashed. We were having dinner at an outside bistro and the silence of the town struck me. You could have have heard a pin drop.

I think of Caroline with her entire family gone. She is becoming more like her mother every day...graceful, shy, mysterious.

Now we are praying for Ted Kennedy for the courage and strength to face his demise. With all of the criticism, this family has given a lot and endured a lot for our country." - Mary M.V.

Here's another memory that was sent to me.

Hi Debbie,
"I've really enjoyed reading your messages about the Kennedys. My parents are probably the biggest Kennedy fans alive. My dad says that the day John F. Kennedy was killed was the saddest day of his life, after the days he lost his parents. I remember many times growing up that he'd talk about that day and get tears in his eyes.

I was born in December 1968, at the end of such a tragic and tumultuous year. My parents supported Robert Kennedy, of course, and were again devastated when he was killed. I've been thinking about that year a lot as I prepare for my 40th birthday. I think that this country has come so far, especially with the election of Barack Obama. I cried on election night as I thought about the people who have gone before us and who have helped make this country so great."

Thanks again.
Take care,
Lisa

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.