Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An Experience of a Lifetime

"Thanks for giving us "the whole speech", Debbie. I was there that hot August day. Drove my roommate to work at 7 in the morning because we were not sure she could get there otherwise. We all feared violence; we were not sure what to expect. I stayed the whole day down at the National Science Foundation Bldg. right on Constitution Ave. I gradually, very gradually, made my way down to the front door, then out to the sidewalk, then out into the street and then, ultimately into the crowd and right up near the front to hear the speech. The reality of that day is that there was NO violence; just thousands of people who, with great peace and love in their hearts, believed in their cause and wanted us all to know how they felt. They were all very friendly to me, very kind, made way for me to go along and forward. I will never forget it. I did take pictures - am so glad I did. I was 24 and raised in northern Virginia but was lucky enough to know what black people I did from a perspective of tolerance (I had British parents) and love (those who worked in the households I knew well, including my own, taught me so much in the way of housekeeping and loved me greatly). I have been very fortunate to experience this in my life - I would not trade my life experiences with these dear people for anything." Dee in Las Cruces, NM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.