Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.
Email: debbie@geraniumfarm.org

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...
Loading

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

High School Graduation

My "baby", Brian, he'll be 18 on Saturday, just graduated from High School last night. I think back to when I graduated, 35 years ago. Some girlfriends and I were talking about it. At that time things still hadn't "opened up" much for women. You basically had 4 choices: teacher, nurse, secretary, or stewardess (as they were called back then). We all think how great it is now that there are so many more choices for women and wonder what we might have done if things had been different and how it would have shaped and changed our lives. But then so it is for each new generation...how will they see their future?
As for Brian, he'll be off to the local community college for the next 2 years. You see, he hasn't figured out just yet what it is he wants for his future. But then that's OK, he has time......and choices......

The picture below is of Brian when he was in Kindergarten and has been on the front of the refrigerator all these years. I think I'll keep it there... somehow I just can't take it down yet.

Copyright © 2005 Deborah Sharp Loeb

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I graduated high school 37 years ago, having been wedged, some 3 years earlier, in the business track. It was a rather disjointed time of relief and other-worldliness. While other graduates of my class (the cool kids did not associates with the greasers or oddbods)were taking the summer off before venturing to the college of their acceptance in the fall, I was obligated to find a job within a month... and did. I, too, am glad that there are more choices and that kids of today get input into their own futures.

10:40 AM  
Blogger DSL said...

Your comment about being "wedged" into the business track is right on target. My guidance counselor made me take a "Secretarial Science" class my freshmen year. It was so boring to me and I easily aced it and proved to them that I was able to switch into "College Prep". I went on to become a teacher of Elementary Education, Teacher of Reading, and Teacher of the Handicapped. Pretty good I think for someone who "they" thought should be a secretary.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.