Geranium Farm Home     Who's Who on the Farm     The Almost Daily eMo     Subscriptions     Coming Events     Links
Hodgepodge     More or Less Church     Ways of the World     Father Matthew     A Few Good Writers     Bookstore
Light a Prayer Candle     Message Board     Donations     Gifts For Life     Pennies From Heaven     Live Chat

Hodgepodge from The Geranium Farm

Debbie Sharp Loeb, teacher by training but full-time mom to a disabled son, craftsperson, bead artist, great cook, creative homemaker & terrific spotter of cool new products for everything under the sun, presents Hodgepodge: recipes, household hints, stories about children, friends & relatives, cool stuff, music, & much more.

Subscribe for HP via email

Search Hodgepodge...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Carbon Monoxide Detector

It's that time of the year when you'll soon be putting the heat on, if you haven't done so already. I cannot urge you enough to have Carbon Monoxide Alarms on each floor of your home, especially near the bedroom where you can hear them when you're sleeping.

Years ago when we were living in a condominium my son's friend's furnace broke down due to a cracked heat exchange. Luckily they caught it in time. Being that they were in the last of eleven buildings in these units, and we were in the first one, I thought there was a good chance this could happen to us. I went right out and bought a couple of Carbon Monoxide Detectors that same night. The very next morning they went off! Sure enough we had the exact same problem! We turned off the furnace right away and opened all the windows. We went outside and called the fire department. Their detectors went off as soon as they went inside.
That same day I typed up a notice and went to every unit and taped the note to their door, as well as another development of the same condo's down the street. I told them what had happened and urged them to get a detector. I soon got a nasty call from the president of the condo association. (I also got some calls thanking me too.) I said that within two days two of these units had problems. I knew they wouldn't take quick action on this and I couldn't live with myself if I knew this and something terrible had happened.

So please don't put on you're furnace, fireplace, or woodstove without a Carbon Monoxide Detector. Make sure everyone you know and love has one!


Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-Present Geranium Farm - All rights reserved.
Reproduction of any materials on this web site for any purpose
other than personal use without written consent is prohibited.